SailsJS Programming Framework
Sails.js is a web framework built on top of Node.js, Express, and Socket.io, designed to emulate the familiar MVC pattern of frameworks like Ruby on Rails.
#What is SailsJS?
Sails is a web framework for Node.js that follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architecture pattern. It provides an opinionated approach to building web applications and APIs, allowing developers to focus on writing business logic instead of dealing with repetitive and boilerplate code.
#SailsJS Key Features
Here are some of Sails’ most recognizable features:
- Automatic RESTful API generation
- Built-in WebSocket support
- Database-agnostic ORM with data modeling
- Real-time pub/sub capabilities
- Blueprint routes for CRUD operations
- Scaffold generator for quickly creating new APIs and views
Sails is commonly used for the following use cases:
- Building real-time applications such as chat rooms and online games
- Creating APIs for mobile applications or frontend frameworks
Here are some of Sails’ most-known pros:
- Fast development and prototyping with auto-generated APIs and models
- Scalable and performant due to its non-blocking and event-driven nature
- Easy to learn for developers familiar with Node.js and web frameworks
Here are some of its most-known cons:
- May be too opinionated for some developers who prefer more flexibility
- Large file sizes and slower startup times compared to smaller frameworks
- Limited community and third-party support compared to more popular Node.js frameworks
Sails is a Node.js web framework that provides an opinionated approach to building web applications and APIs, with features such as automatic RESTful API generation and built-in WebSocket support. While it may be too opinionated for some, it offers fast development and scalability for those who prefer its approach.
Try hix.dev now
Simplify project configuration.
DRY during initialization.
Prevent the technical debt, easily.