Raku Programming Language
Raku is a general-purpose, multi-paradigm programming language that supports both object-oriented and functional programming paradigms. It was originally known as Perl 6, and is a sister language to Perl 5.
#What is Raku?
Raku (formerly known as Perl 6) is a multi-paradigm programming language designed to be a successor to the popular Perl language. It was designed with the goals of being expressive, easy to read and write, and to provide powerful abstractions for solving complex problems. Raku is open source and has a large community of developers contributing to its ongoing development.
#Raku Key Features
Some of the most recognizable features of Raku include:
- A strong emphasis on syntax and grammar that makes the code easy to read and understand
- Built-in support for functional programming paradigms, including first-class functions, closures, and lazy evaluation
- A powerful object system that includes multiple inheritance, mixins, and roles
- Advanced concurrency features, such as async/await and parallel processing
- Built-in support for grammars, which enables parsing of complex data structures
- Dynamic typing with optional type annotations for improved code clarity and maintainability
Some of the common use-cases for Raku include:
- Data processing and analysis, especially in scientific and academic research fields
- Web development, using frameworks like Bailador or Cro
- Command-line utilities and system administration tasks
- Scripting and automation tasks
Some of the most known pros of Raku include:
- Its syntax and grammar, which is easy to read and understand
- The powerful object system, which provides flexibility and modularity for complex projects
- Its advanced concurrency features, which make it well-suited for high-performance applications
Some of the most known cons of Raku include:
- Its relatively small community compared to other popular programming languages, which can make finding help or support more challenging
- Its syntax and grammar can be overwhelming for beginners, especially if they come from languages with a more traditional syntax
- The fact that it is still relatively new and evolving means that some of the libraries or tools may not be as mature or stable as in other languages.
Raku is a powerful and expressive multi-paradigm programming language with strong support for functional programming, concurrency, and grammars, that is well-suited for data processing, web development, and scripting.
Try hix.dev now
Simplify project configuration.
DRY during initialization.
Prevent the technical debt, easily.