Mnesia is a distributed, soft real-time database management system written in the Erlang programming language. It is used as a primary database by several applications written in Erlang, including the telecom applications of Ericsson, which originally developed the system.
#What is Mnesia?
Mnesia is a distributed, multiuser database management system (DBMS) developed by Ericsson as part of the Open Telecom Platform (OTP) suite of applications. It is a distributed DBMS and a transaction processing system, and it supports ACID transactions. It is designed to handle large-scale, high-performance systems, making it ideal for use in telecoms, internet applications, and other mission-critical systems.
#Mnesia Key Features
Here are six recognizable features of Mnesia database:
- Mnesia is a distributed database system that can be deployed across multiple nodes in a cluster.
- Mnesia has built-in support for fault-tolerance, replication, and load balancing.
- It supports multiple data access patterns including key-value, relational, and object-oriented data models.
- Mnesia offers flexible data partitioning options, which enable users to distribute data across nodes for better performance and scalability.
- It supports hot-swapping of database schema, enabling you to modify database tables and indexes while the system is running.
- Mnesia offers a powerful query language (QLC), which is used to query data across multiple tables.
Here are six use-cases for Mnesia database:
- Telecoms and network systems: Mnesia was developed for use in telecoms systems, making it ideal for handling large-scale telecommunications and network systems.
- Internet applications: Mnesia is also used in internet applications that require high performance, scalability, and fault tolerance.
- Gaming: Mnesia is well-suited for handling real-time multiplayer gaming applications, which require fast response times and high throughput.
- Financial systems: Mnesia can be used in financial systems where transactions require high levels of consistency and reliability.
- Supply chain management: Mnesia can be used to manage supply chain information in real-time, ensuring that information is up-to-date and accurate across multiple locations.
- Messaging systems: Mnesia is used in messaging systems where high throughput and reliability are critical, such as in instant messaging and chat applications.
Mnesia is a distributed database management system designed for use in high-performance, mission-critical systems such as telecommunications, internet applications, and gaming. It supports multiple data access patterns, flexible data partitioning, and hot-swapping of database schema. It is known for its fault-tolerance, scalability, and high-performance, making it ideal for use in a wide range of applications.