JaCoCo Developer Experience
JaCoCo is a Java Code Coverage Library. The Java agent is able to collect coverage information for almost any type of Java application.
#What is JaCoCo?
JaCoCo is a free and open-source code coverage library for the Java programming language that provides a comprehensive test coverage report of the code. It is widely used in the industry to measure how much of the code is executed during the testing process. JaCoCo provides a complete code coverage solution, including line, branch, and instruction-level coverage metrics.
#JaCoCo Key Features
Most recognizable JaCoCo features include:
- Easy integration with popular build tools like Ant, Gradle, and Maven.
- Detailed coverage report generation in various formats like HTML, XML, and CSV.
- Fine-grained filtering of the report based on class, package, or source file.
- Integration with SonarQube and Jenkins for continuous integration and analysis.
- Support for multi-module projects and parallel test execution.
- Compatible with all major Java virtual machines.
Some of the JaCoCo use-cases are:
- Ensuring code quality by measuring the test coverage of the code.
- Identifying untested or poorly tested code areas to improve the testing process.
- Measuring the impact of changes on the code coverage of a project.
- Analyzing code coverage trends over time to monitor the quality of the testing process.
- Identifying potential code hotspots and performance bottlenecks.
- Evaluating the quality of third-party libraries or frameworks.
JaCoCo is a popular code coverage tool for Java projects that provides detailed reports and can be easily integrated with popular build and analysis tools.