ActiveStorage File Storage
Active Storage facilitates uploading files to a cloud storage service like Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft Azure Storage and attaching those files to Active Record objects.
#What is ActiveStorage?
ActiveStorage is a file attachment management system that comes bundled with Ruby on Rails. It allows developers to store and manage uploaded files in cloud storage services or local disk storage.
#ActiveStorage Key Features
Most recognizable ActiveStorage features include:
- Supports multiple storage services, including Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, and Microsoft Azure Storage.
- Provides a unified and simple API for uploading and retrieving files from storage services.
- Enables developers to attach files to ActiveRecord models, simplifying the process of managing file attachments.
- Provides integrated image processing, allowing developers to easily resize, crop, and manipulate images on-the-fly.
- Automatically handles file uploads and deletion, making it easy to manage disk space and avoid orphaned files.
- Offers secure storage with configurable permissions and access controls.
- ActiveStorage can be used in a variety of use cases, including:
Some of the ActiveStorage use-cases are:
- Uploading user-generated content, such as profile pictures, videos, and documents.
- Integrating with third-party services that require file uploads, such as email services or payment gateways.
- Managing backups and archives of important files, such as database backups or log files.
- Providing access to files for multiple applications or users, such as a shared storage service for a team or organization.
- Storing large files that would be impractical to store on a local disk, such as high-resolution images or video files.
ActiveStorage is a powerful file attachment management system that provides a unified API for storing and retrieving files in cloud storage services or local disk storage, with integrated image processing and automatic file handling.