pkgsrc Package Manager
pkgsrc is a package management system for Unix-like operating systems. It was forked from the FreeBSD ports collection in 1997.
#What is pkgsrc?
pkgsrc is a package management system used in various Unix-like operating systems, such as NetBSD, FreeBSD, and macOS. It provides a framework for building and installing software packages in a consistent and reproducible manner across different platforms. pkgsrc was initially developed for NetBSD but has since been adopted by several other operating systems.
#pkgsrc Key Features
Most recognizable pkgsrc features include:
- A wide range of software packages: pkgsrc provides a vast collection of software packages, including popular tools, libraries, and applications.
- Cross-platform support: pkgsrc can be used on different Unix-like systems, such as NetBSD, FreeBSD, macOS, Linux, and others.
- Easy package creation: The modular architecture of pkgsrc makes it easy to create new packages or update existing ones.
- Customizable build options: pkgsrc allows users to customize the build options of packages, enabling fine-tuning of the software for different use-cases.
- Package management tools: pkgsrc comes with several command-line tools for package management, such as pkg_add, pkg_delete, pkg_info, and others.
- Advanced features: pkgsrc also includes advanced features such as support for binary package repositories, package security audits, and more.
Some of the pkgsrc use-cases are:
- Installing software packages: pkgsrc simplifies the process of installing software packages, especially on systems without a built-in package manager.
- Building custom software: pkgsrc allows users to build and customize software packages to their specific needs.
- System administration: pkgsrc can be used by system administrators to manage software packages across multiple systems.
- Package maintenance: pkgsrc provides tools for maintaining software packages, such as updating packages to newer versions or removing outdated packages.
- Development and testing: pkgsrc can be used in software development and testing to manage dependencies and build custom software packages.
- Research: pkgsrc is also used in research environments to install and manage software packages for scientific computing and data analysis.
pkgsrc is a versatile package management system that offers a vast collection of software packages and supports cross-platform use. It provides users with customizable build options, package management tools, and advanced features, making it a useful tool for software development, system administration, and research.