Kestrel Web Server
Kestrel is a cross-platform web server for ASP.NET Core. It is the default web server for ASP.NET Core applications.
#What is Kestrel?
Kestrel is a cross-platform web server that is used in ASP.NET Core applications to serve HTTP traffic. It is built on top of the .NET Core runtime and is designed to be lightweight and fast. Kestrel is typically used in conjunction with a reverse proxy, such as Nginx or Apache, that can handle features like SSL termination, load balancing, and caching.
#Kestrel Key Features
Most recognizable Kestrel features include:
- Cross-platform support: Kestrel can run on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- High performance: Kestrel is designed to be lightweight and fast, and is capable of handling a large number of concurrent connections.
- Integration with ASP.NET Core: Kestrel is the default web server used by ASP.NET Core, and is fully integrated with the framework.
- Support for HTTP/2: Kestrel supports the latest version of the HTTP protocol, which can improve performance and reduce latency.
- Customizable configuration: Kestrel provides a wide range of configuration options that can be used to fine-tune its behavior.
- Logging and diagnostic tools: Kestrel includes built-in logging and diagnostic tools that can help developers diagnose and troubleshoot issues.
Some of the Kestrel use-cases are:
- Hosting ASP.NET Core applications: Kestrel is designed to be used with ASP.NET Core, and is the default web server for the framework.
- Building microservices: Kestrel’s lightweight and fast design makes it a good choice for building microservices that can handle a high volume of traffic.
- Scaling web applications: Kestrel’s support for HTTP/2 and its ability to handle a large number of concurrent connections make it a good choice for scaling web applications.
Kestrel is a lightweight and fast web server that is designed to be used with ASP.NET Core applications. It provides a wide range of configuration options, supports the latest version of the HTTP protocol, and includes built-in logging and diagnostic tools. Kestrel is typically used to host ASP.NET Core applications, build microservices, and scale web applications.