Lighttpd Web Server
Lighttpd (pronounced “lighty”) is a free, open-source web server designed for speed, simplicity, and security.
#What is Lighttpd?
Lighttpd is an open-source web server that is designed to be lightweight, fast, and efficient. It was designed to handle a high number of concurrent connections with low memory usage, making it an ideal choice for servers with limited resources. Lighttpd is often used in combination with other tools such as FastCGI and PHP-FPM to create high-performance web applications.
#Lighttpd Key Features
Most recognizable Lighttpd features include:
- Low resource usage: Lighttpd is designed to use a minimal amount of memory and CPU resources, making it ideal for use on servers with limited resources.
- Fast serving of static content: Lighttpd is optimized for serving static content such as images and CSS files quickly and efficiently.
- Modular architecture: Lighttpd’s modular architecture makes it easy to add and remove features as needed.
- FastCGI and CGI support: Lighttpd has built-in support for FastCGI and CGI, making it an ideal choice for hosting web applications.
- SSL support: Lighttpd has built-in SSL support, making it easy to secure web applications and websites.
- URL rewriting: Lighttpd’s URL rewriting module allows developers to easily configure custom URLs for their applications.
Some of the Lighttpd use-cases are:
- Web application hosting: Lighttpd’s support for FastCGI and CGI make it an ideal choice for hosting web applications.
- Reverse proxying: Lighttpd can be used as a reverse proxy to distribute incoming traffic across multiple servers.
Lighttpd is a lightweight, high-performance web server that is designed to handle a high volume of traffic with minimal resource usage. It is ideal for serving static content, hosting web applications, and reverse proxying.