Tomcat Web Server
Apache Tomcat is an open source implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language, Java WebSocket and Java Authentication Service Provider Interface for Containers technologies. It is widely deployed and powers various mission-critical web applications around the world.
- Github Topic:apache-tomcat
#What is Tomcat?
Apache Tomcat, commonly known as Tomcat, is an open-source Java Servlet container developed by the Apache Software Foundation. Tomcat is a web server designed to execute Java Servlets and JavaServer Pages (JSPs). It can also be used as a web server for static content, as well as a proxy server.
#Tomcat Key Features
Most recognizable Tomcat features include:
- It is an open-source software product and is available for free.
- It is lightweight and easy to install, configure, and use.
- It supports Java Servlets, JavaServer Pages (JSPs), Java Expression Language, and Java WebSocket specifications.
- It provides built-in load balancing and failover capabilities.
- It supports multiple web applications and virtual hosting.
- It can be used as a standalone server or integrated with other web servers such as Apache and Nginx.
Some of the Tomcat use-cases are:
- Hosting Java web applications that require Servlet and JSP support.
- Deploying web applications that use Java technologies such as Spring, Struts, and Hibernate.
- Building and deploying web services using Java.
- Serving as a lightweight web server for small-scale web applications.
- Running web applications on a local machine for development and testing purposes.
- Deploying web applications on cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
Tomcat is a lightweight and easy-to-use open-source web server that is primarily used for hosting Java web applications and supporting Java technologies such as Servlets, JSPs, and WebSocket. It can be used as a standalone server or integrated with other web servers, and supports load balancing, failover, virtual hosting, and multiple web applications.
Try hix.dev now
Simplify project configuration.
DRY during initialization.
Prevent the technical debt, easily.