Apache Derby Database
Apache Derby is a relational database management system (RDBMS) developed by the Apache Software Foundation. It is written in Java and provides JDBC and ODBC APIs for application access.
- Github Topic:apache-derby
#What is Apache Derby?
Apache Derby is a relational database management system (RDBMS) that is fully written in Java. It can be embedded into Java applications or can be run as a standalone database server. It is an open-source project, and it is distributed under the Apache License.
#Apache Derby Key Features
Here are some of the most recognizable features of Apache Derby:
- Embeddable: It can be embedded into Java applications, which means that there is no need to install a separate database server.
- Small footprint: The size of the database engine is small, which makes it suitable for mobile devices and small applications.
- ACID compliance: Apache Derby is fully ACID-compliant, which means that it ensures data consistency and reliability.
- Multi-user support: Multiple users can access the database simultaneously, and the database engine manages concurrent access to the data.
- Cross-platform: It can run on any platform that supports Java.
- Java-based: Being written in Java, Apache Derby is a pure Java application and does not rely on any specific operating system.
#Apache Derby Use-Cases
Here are some of the most common use cases for Apache Derby:
- Embedded databases: It is suitable for small to medium-sized applications that require an embedded database.
- Java-based applications: Java developers can use Apache Derby in their Java applications, either embedded or as a standalone database server.
- Educational purposes: It is a good tool for learning SQL and database concepts due to its small size and ease of use.
#Apache Derby Summary
Apache Derby is a lightweight and embeddable relational database management system that is fully written in Java and is suitable for small to medium-sized applications that require an embedded database.
Try hix.dev now
Simplify project configuration.
DRY during initialization.
Prevent the technical debt, easily.