Hortonworks was a data software company based in Santa Clara, California. The company focuses on the development and support of Apache Hadoop.
#What is Hortonworks?
Hortonworks was a software company that provided enterprise-level support and services for open-source big data platforms. Its primary focus was on the development and support of the Apache Hadoop ecosystem, which is an open-source distributed computing platform for processing large datasets across clusters of computers. Hortonworks was merged with Cloudera in 2019 to become a unified big data platform company.
#Hortonworks Key Features
Here are six recognizable features of Hortonworks:
- Hadoop ecosystem support: Hortonworks offers extensive support and development for the Apache Hadoop ecosystem, including Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS), Apache Hive, Apache HBase, and Apache Spark.
- Enterprise-level support: Hortonworks provides enterprise-level support, training, consulting, and certification for its open-source big data platforms.
- Data governance and security: Hortonworks offers a suite of tools for data governance, including Apache Atlas for metadata management and Apache Ranger for authorization and access control.
- Cloud support: Hortonworks supports deployment of its big data platforms on cloud infrastructures, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Integration with other technologies: Hortonworks has partnerships and integrations with other big data technologies, such as SAS, IBM, and Tableau, to provide a comprehensive big data solution for enterprise customers.
- Community-driven development: Hortonworks is committed to contributing to the open-source big data community, and its engineers actively participate in the development of Apache Hadoop and other big data projects.
Here are six potential use-cases for Hortonworks:
- Data warehousing: Hortonworks’ big data platforms can be used to build and manage data warehouses that can handle large and complex datasets.
- Business intelligence and analytics: Hortonworks can be used to process and analyze big data to generate insights and make data-driven decisions.
- Internet of Things (IoT) data management: Hortonworks’ big data platforms can be used to collect, store, and analyze data from IoT devices and sensors.
- Fraud detection and prevention: Hortonworks can be used to process large amounts of data in real-time to detect and prevent fraud.
- Risk management: Hortonworks can be used to analyze large amounts of data to identify potential risks and mitigate them.
- Healthcare analytics: Hortonworks can be used to process and analyze healthcare data to improve patient outcomes and reduce costs.
Hortonworks was a software company that provided enterprise-level support and services for open-source big data platforms, with a primary focus on the development and support of the Apache Hadoop ecosystem. Its recognizable features include Hadoop ecosystem support, enterprise-level support, data governance and security, cloud support, integration with other technologies, and community-driven development. Its potential use-cases include data warehousing, business intelligence and analytics, IoT data management, fraud detection and prevention, risk management, and healthcare analytics.